1. Add personality to your space - Your home is an extension of who you are and should complement your interests and passions. Use artwork that speaks to you, no matter the message. Explore the works of your favorite artist and use their artwork to inspire your space.
2. Use your connections - If you have creative friends, exchange and collect the artwork of your peers to create a more diversified personal gallery of artwork. Support your friends in their endeavors as artists and add some conversation-sparking pieces to your space.
3. Find a color palette - Use a neutral color palette to allow your artwork and accent pieces to really pop. Find complementary color swatches to make your home feel more complete. Adding a splash of color to an otherwise monochromatic space can affect the overall experience.
Check out https://coolors.co/browser for custom color schemes. Choose from pre-made swatches or make your own, then save it for later.
4. Shop secondhand - Sometimes, the pieces that can add the most personality to your home are from the most unexpected places. Explore local thrift shops and secondhand boutiques to find treasures or opportunities to create something unique. Looking for a picture frame? Find a frame at Goodwill or Savers, paint it a bright color, and replace with your own photos. Looking for furniture? Add a little side table or dresser and refinish to your own style or buy a new couch or armchair and upholster the fabric with something fresh. Breathe life into older pieces to add a new spin to your home. Talk with friends and family who may be trying to get rid of older or unwanted furniture and make each piece your own.
5. Just go for it - Want a lime green dresser in your bedroom? Go for it. Want a zebra-print rug in your kitchen? Do it. Own your stuff! Don’t feel self-conscious about your space. How others choose to decorate their own spaces shouldn’t reflect on how you’ve decorated your own. Your home should be your haven, where you feel most comfortable. Don’t let the input of others keep you from living out your true home decor style.
How do you decorate your space? Let me know in the comments!